Telehealth services are a fairly new concept in the area of functional medicine. In the world connected by technology, it’s growing faster than ever, with the current pandemic skyrocketing its implementation throughout various healthcare sectors. Telehealth services were brought in as many hospitals were under full capacity and appointments for less serious injuries or illness were not safe. Certain functions such as administration meetings, education and other services were found to be rather easily implemented with this new growth platform.
Telehealth systems implemented throughout the country brought about 4.3 million health care services to more than 3 million patients during the pandemic.
How These Services Work
Patients are required to have a working computer or smartphone to allow video and audio synchronisation. Schedules are virtual, and many hospitals or services may require the download of their specific application or software for appointments. Payments and prescriptions are made online through secure networks followed by regular appointments by the doctor or the physician through the software as needed by the patient. Telehealth services allow patients to undergo appointments in the safety and comfort of their own homes with less waiting times and at lower prices.
Telehealth Services and What They are Used For
- Consultation and health diagnosis of patients regarding any disease, allergies or emergencies.
- Education and exchange of information and advice regarding health, wellbeing or treatments to a broader network of patients.
- For various postoperative treatments, therapy and follow-ups done by a doctor.
- Prescription of any medicines, pills or emergency services to patients in a crisis or those that currently do not have any nearby healthcare facility.
Benefits of Telehealth Services
- Better Reach For Rural Patients In The Country: People who don’t usually have access to primary health care services can benefit from telehealth services. Rural patients can receive easily accessible service without any travel or waiting. Hence, these online platforms provide easy access to healthcare for patients living far away from the nearest physicians.
- Cost: An appointment cost can be a huge downside for many patients. It is considered a factor for many to put off their doctor appointments. Telehealth services allow people to get healthcare at an affordable rate, and it is at the same time, safe and convenient.
- Convenience: These services can positively impact people who lead busy schedules or don’t have the time to make a trip to the doctor. Lesser wait times is also another advantageous factor.
- Helps Stay Connected: Any barrier regarding the patient-doctor interaction will be removed through virtual interaction. Doctors can now stay connected with their patients full time, especially with those unable to reach out during an emergency crisis.
- Easier Coordination: Telehealth services are easier to coordinate than regular appointments. Results, prescriptions and information can be stored or exchanged easily between doctors and patients and other members.
A lot of insurance companies have now backed up telehealth service charges in their payment options. A lot of hospitals have implemented this online service with high results of success. Various government and national health care administrations have started to provide the necessary resources to increase the reach and service range to a broader network of people. With such a development currently ongoing in functional medicine, telehealth services will undoubtedly change the way doctors interact with their patients and save many lives.